I have been collecting, buying and selling antiques from Houston, Texas for more than 30 years. I carefully research almost every item that passes through my hands and provide you with as much information as possible, including artist biographies, sitter genealogy information, and references to books and museum collections that will help you understand and appreciate the items purchased. I retired from the practice of law to devote my time and energy in being the best antiques consultant I can be. I look for every opportunity to increase my knowledge and graduated from the Winterthur Winter Forum. I provide consultation to major auction houses and museums with regard to antique silhouettes. I have given educational lectures to museum docents, antiques study groups, dealer associations, appraisers, and other groups from Texas to Maine. I have been interviewed and quoted in, and provided photographs of my collection and inventory for numerous nationally distributed magazines in both the U.S. and the U.K., trade journals, books, major auction house catalogs, and online educational websites. I started business in a brick & mortar shop in Houston and exhibited at respected antiques shows starting in the 1980s. I designed and have been responsible for every aspect of this website since 2004. I fully guarantee my inventory to be as represented.
I promise to keep this website filled with fresh inventory at affordable prices. I will always have items to help you build a new collection or add to an established, serious collection. I buy the best items I can and offer them to you at affordable prices. I offer consultation services in building your collection. You will always find the largest collection of authentic antique silhouettes for sale and the best educational information about period silhouettes here!
I remove prices from item listings once you have committed to buying them and remove photos of items that I have sold to you within 30 days of completing the sale. I believe that your privacy is more important than touting those items I have sold in the past. I will sometimes use my copyrighted photos of sold items for educational purposes or as part of my greeting card collections, but never to promote the fact that I once sold something that you now own. If you would like to have the photo of your item removed prior to my regular website update, please let me know. However, it is important for you to know that I retain the copyright to all images and may use those images in later publications. As an honor to you, images used in greeting cards will include an attribution to your collection unless you prefer otherwise.
Please note that due to an enormous number of fraudulent money orders in circulation, my bank routinely holds funds from all money order deposits for at least 45 days as the bank awaits payment. Because of this absurdly long hold, I no longer take money orders--this includes U.S. Postal Service money orders.
This website will always have lots of fresh items such as :
18th and 19th century portraits in oil, watercolor, and other media. I strive to bring you the best in na�ve folk art portraits and antique portrait miniatures.
- 18th and 19th century silhouettes of the best quality we can find. If you are looking for something special, please email me. I regularly buy extraordinary antique silhouettes by Edouart, Metford, Peale, Doyle, Hubard, King and more! I have silhouettes from under $200 to several thousands of dollars. Antique silhouettes are my number one specialty.
- Folk Art
- Antique paintings and 3-dimensional artwork of exceptional merit. Includes schoolgirl art, samplers, and other antique folk art.
- Great categories like
- Early Lighting
- Primitive 18th and 19th century lighting as well as wonderful early candlesticks.
- Paint Decoration
- I think paint decoration best shows the talent of the decorative artist. In this category you will find everyday objects decorated to make life fun. It's a glimpse at the American Fancy period. There will always be lots of antique paint decorated boxes (including schoolgirl decorated boxes when I can get them), painted tinware, and possibly small furniture. Check this category often because it's one of my favorites!
- Here is where you might find antique coverlets, quilts, penny and hooked rugs, pockets, reticules, and maybe some early sewing items thrown in for good measure.
- Not Miscellaneous!
- Check here for wonderful Americana that just doesn't quite fit the other categories. The page will be filled with anything but miscellaneous!
- American and European pewter from the 16th through the 19th centuries. I always have a large inventory of hard to find hollowware pieces and a few plates and chargers.
- Sentimental & Mourning Jewelry
- This section that represents an old love of mine. You will find mourning and hair jewelry as well as portrait and other antique jewelry that was given as representations of love, friendship and remembrances.
- Greeting Cards
- A special selection of greeting cards that let you share your love of antique silhouettes and portraits with friends and family.
- A few select copies of great reference volumes on the art of antique silhouette, portraits, folk art, Americana, and sometimes even early American Country Furniture.
Please click here for my liberal Return Policy.
I am is always interested in buying items of full collections of items of the same type and quality as what you find on this website. I do not do monetary appraisals because my legal and business training leads me to believe there is a serious conflict of interest when an antique dealer who might be interested in buying a piece tells someone what the piece is "worth". Certified appraisers are qualified to give you a monetary appraisal. Antique dealers may be qualified but should conflict out of giving the same monetary appraisal.
I am is available for lectures and guidance in building your collection. I am also available for consultation with museums, auction houses and appraisers
Click this link for Peggy's Wants!
Click here for the Kind of Like A Blog Page